Office Manager and Receptionists
What is a veterinary office manager?
The veterinary office manager may receive on the job training or become certified from an accredited college program. A certified veterinary practice manager (CVPM) receives training from an accredited college and must pass a national exam to become certified. Often, a LVT may become a CVPM. The office manager performs all of the tasks of a receptionist, with additional responsibilities.
- Funds and resource management
- Conduct annual employee reviews
- Oversee AAHA inspections
- Interviewing potential candidates for a job position
- Hiring and firing of employees
- Training front office staff
- Billing and receiving payments
- Coordinating past due accounts with collection agencies
What is a veterinary receptionist?
The purpose of this position is to serve as receptionist at the animal hospital, to perform record keeping duties, to perform clerical duties related to animal patient care and treatment, and to provide miscellaneous support to the veterinarians and patient care team. This position requires a practical knowledge of hospital organization and services, the basic rules and regulations governing visitors and animal patient treatment, data entry, word processing, mail service, and a practical knowledge of the standard procedures, veterinary records and terminology used in the hospital.
What responsibilities do receptionists have?
On a typical day a Veterinary Assistant working with smalls animals, for example dogs, cats, birds, and reptiles, in a clinical practice will:
- Phone Reception- answering client inquiries, scheduling appointments, and recording messages for doctors and staff, emergency protocols.
- Greeting Clients- checking patients in, discharging patients, dispensing medications & prescriptions, invoicing
- Inputting data into electronic medical record system
- Receiving Client Payments- posting & recording payments, receiving payment, running end of day transaction register
- Check clinic email, fax, & phone messaging- prescription refill requests, appointment requests, client inquiries
- Client Communication- patient updates, appointment reminders, update inquiries
- General Office duties- mail, hospital bills, cleaning / organizing reception area