Dr. James Zgoda
Please click here to visit Dr. Zgoda's Memorial page.
Position here at Otterkill: Chief Veterinarian and hospital director/owner
Educational Background: Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, 1985, Cornell University; Master of Science - Zoology, 1981, Rutgers University; Bachelor of Arts - Animal Behavior, 1980, University of Pennsylvania.
Number of Family Animal Companions: 12
Name(s) and Breed(s): "Oliver"– Domestic Shorthair (DSH); "Newman" – DLH; "Sammy" – DSH; "Jerry"- DSH; "Cub"- DSH; "SlimJim" –Hospital Mascot; "Scout" – Golden Retriever; "Finn" – Golden Retriever; "Star" – Alpine Goat; "Kojo" – miniature donkey; "Luigi" – miniature donkey; "Gertie the goose" Toulouse Goose; Tropical Fish pond
Hobbies I enjoy: I love hiking, biking, Boy Scouts Troop125 Assistant Scoutmaster
Special things I have done with animals: Veterinarian for the Humane Society of Walden; Goshen Humane Society; Pets Alive Animal Sanctuary; Hudson Valley SPCA; Big Apple Circus. I participate in several low-cost spay/neuter programs.
"I love to be a part of the Otterkill Animal Hospital healthcare team because": With our warm and wonderful staff, we're able to provide outstanding care to our patients and their people. It's been so rewarding to see this hospital develop into the top quality facility it is. Clients come quite a distance to be taken care of by our team. I'm so proud of the reputation they've helped me build and continue.
- American Veterinary Medical Association
- NYS Veterinary Medical Society – Board member
- Hudson Valley Veterinary Medical Society-Treasurer
- Hudson Valley Veterinary Medical Society-Regional representative to NYSVMS board of Directors
- American Animal Hospital Association
- International Academy of Veterinary Pain Management
- Association of Shelter Veterinarians
- American Society for Theriogenology
- Association of Avian Veterinarians
- Association of Reptile and Amphibian Veterinarians
- Humane Society Veterinary Medical Association
- Cornell Veterinary Alumni Association, Class of 1985, Chairman
- Cornell Quadrangle Society
- Omega Tau Sigma Veterinary Fraternity
- Synbiotics Veterinary Network
- Cornell Feline Health Center
- Orange County Medical Reserve Corps